Hello, World!

Welcome to the official online edition of The Bird's Eye View, Mt. Abraham Union High School's student newspaper. All articles published on this site have been written by students, ranging in age between 15 and 18 years old. None of the content on this site reflects the views or opinions of Mt. Abraham as a school. We appreciate comments and welcome criticism, but please, keep your comments appropriate and relevent. Thank you, and enjoy!

Monday, February 2, 2009

Interview with Greg Clark by CJ J.

Interview with Greg Clark

When tasked with finding someone to interview, my mind immediately jumped to Mr. (Greg) Clark. I knew he had been teaching for a fairly long time, and he is often regarded as one of the funniest and most easy going teachers in the school. He is also on the state senate, leaving Mt. Abe every second semester to attend the conferences. He’s totally unpredictable which I thought would make for a fairly interesting interview. Here’s the result.

CJ: How long have you been teaching?

GC: I’ve been teaching for 15 years but I’ve been learning for 60.

CJ: Have you taught anywhere else?

GC: VUHS. I was there for a mere 3 years, and then I came to Mt. Abe.

CJ: Not only have you been a teacher for 15 years, you are also on the state senate. Were those always your life goals? Or did you have other plans when you were younger?

GC: I wanted to be the president of the United States, but I thought it would be a good idea to get a real job before I did that, so I decided to be a teacher until I got elected.

CJ: What college did you go to?

GC: Johnson State.

CJ: What are some of your fondest memories of Johnson State?

GC: “Dog’s Head.” I’m not going to tell you what that is [laughs]. I liked the dining hall that was built when I was there, and playing soccer.

CJ: Is “Dog’s Head” something you think inappropriate for a school interview?

CG: I just think it’s more interesting for people to wonder what it is without actually knowing. I will say, though, that is not an actual dog head.

CJ: What are some of your fondest childhood memories?

GC: Well, I’m not ‘fond’ of it per say, but when I was young I let one of my neighbors horses out of its pen and left it to roam free. It ended up wandering into the road and it was killed by an oncoming car. The neighbor’s daughter was very sad. I tried to lie, but eventually I admitted I had let it out. I learned an early lesson about lying.

CJ: Any happy memories?

GC: I liked my first day at school; my first girlfriend. She was a beauty. She thought I was a real dreamboat.

CJ: How much longer do you plan on teaching?

GC: Until I become governor or until Mr. Desorda kicks me out, whichever comes first. When Mr. Desorda starts easing me out I’ll know.

CJ: You are very good friends with your colleague Mr. Brewer. How long have you known him or been friends with him?

GC: I met Mr. Brewer when I first came to Mt. Abe fourteen years ago because he was a full time science teacher. We immediately became friends and we’ve stayed that way ever since.

CJ: What do you like most about teaching?

GC: Absolutely nothing. I hate it. [Laughs] Honestly, what I really enjoy the most is sharing stories of our country’s past with the nice students of Mt. Abe.
CJ: What do you find most valuable in life?

GC: I think the good upbringing I had from my parents… the friends I had when I was young, and the good relationships I’ve built with my students and colleagues over the past fourteen years.

Whether leading from the state house or the front of the classroom, Mr. Clark is a laid-back and funny guy, but if you’re paying attention, he has some wise words to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment